Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Apple doesn't mince words

I am convinced that my daughter can give any straight tlking lawyer (if such a thig exists) a run for his/her money. The child can argue. Poor mommy who was never good at arguing anyway has now throw in the towel.


Scene 1:
Dinner time . Mommy has made spicy chicken curry for the adults and a milder version of it for Apple.
Nevertheless Apple complains that it is spicy.
Mommy: Its not spicy honey, I made this specially for you. I din’t make this one spicy.
Apple: It is spicy.(pointing to the food in her mouth) It tastes spicy to me, so it is spicy!
Hmm...how does one argue with that?


Scene 2:
We are at a friend's place for dinner with other friends and their families. All the adults are chatting in the kitchen and family room, older kids are playing upstairs and a some younger kids playing in a room that is full of toys belonging to my friend’s son who’s the same age as Apple. Apple wants to play there but insists that mommy sit next to her. Mommy sits there for a while and notices that Apple has started getting comfortable with the setting. Another friend’s MIL is in the same room watching her twin grandsons. She tells mommy to go ahead and join her friends and that she’ll keep an eye on Apple. Since Apple is not likely to get in trouble, mommy wonders if she can try this.

Mommy: Apple honey, you sit here and play, mommy will go to the other room for sometime. OK?
Apple: No mommy stay!
Mommy: Come on, (pointing to my friends twins) look at N and A . Is their mommy here? But they are playing by themselves, aren't they? Are they asking for their mommy? You can also play with them.
Apple: But their grandma is here. That’s why they are not asking for mommy.
Oh ok. Dint realize that!


Scene 3:
Apple and mommy are ready to go outside so that Apple can ride her tricycle. Its still day time and as mommy approaches the door she realizes that the light outside the front door and the light in the foyer are on. Mommy wonders who left the lights on and switches them off. After a few seconds, Apple comes behind mommy, notices that the lights are off and switches them back on. Ah ! mommy found her culprit! Before mommy could say anything, Apple says ‘ Why did you switch off the lights mommy? I already(that's her new favorite word) switched them on. Now I switch them again. OK? Don’t switch them off next time. OK?
Yeah right!

9 comments:

AA_Mom said...

The food spicy part sounds like me. I still give trouble to my mom. And my word is the final one even if she has proof to show me that she did not put any chilli powder in it :))

~nm said...

I was smiling and giggling reading the post. She surely doesn't mince words. And sometimes I feel rather wonder how all kids use their own logic to make us do how and what they want.

Apple seems no differnt than Anirudh to me!

Fuzzylogic said...

She is certainly a lawyer (A mighty cute one at that too) in the making and such logical questions she keeps throwing at you:)She knows how to get things done around the house her way:)

Swati said...

hahahha..you know its always Mumma's fault :D

Quite a logical kid :)

Anonymous said...

my my....the kids these days!!!

Oh! I am sounding old already...like belonging to a generation way past its prime, and to think I am not even married yet! :D

Smart kid though....how old is she??

NainaAshley said...

aa_mom
WThanks for stopping by.

~nm
Yep, she's like Anirudh. Kids are a lot smarter these days.

Fuzzy
Thank you. That is my very biased opinion too.

Swati,
Thanks.

Chandni,
She's two and half.

SUR NOTES said...

well atleast the next gen of lawyers will be mighty cute- so say the moms!

i just love the way kids twist words and ideas- actually we twist and they say it straight!

karmic said...

Apple shall not be questioned..:-)

Unknown said...

you have been tagged!