Thursday, August 2, 2007

On blogging and half a facial!



I am an introvert. I have always found it very difficult to express my thoughts and opinions to people I don’t know. Before I started blogging, I used to wonder if blogging anonymously would help me open up. After all, I wanted to communicate with all you wonderful people whose blogs I read regularly. It took me a long time to get on the blogosphere and I still can’t get myself to talk about serious issues like this or this, though I have progressed from keeping my opinions to myself to at least expressing them mildly in comments to other people’s posts. Hopefully someday, I’ll be able to write about what matters. Until then it will be about other “important things” like this one….

“Is this Mrs. T?” asked the lady on the other end of the phone.
“Yes.”
“Mrs. T, I am glad to inform you that you have won a free facial and a gift certificate for some free products from our company. Would you like to schedule it now?”
A free facial! Vow! How did I get so lucky? Now I have never won anything unless you count a single company coaster that I won in a drawing at the last division meeting. So for a minute I was excited. Then I remembered that sometime around mother’s day this company’s rep and made us fill out our names and addresses at my daughter’s day care. I knew that this was a sales gimmick but I’m a sucker for free stuff. So I scheduled an appointment and then rescheduled it and so on until the lady finally came home yesterday. I work from home once a week and I use my lunch hour that day for errands, blogging etc. Yesterday, I decided that I’d drop the errands, ignore your blogs and allow myself to be pampered instead.

The lady showed up fifteen minutes late, then blamed it on traffic. Yeah Right! I know how crazy the traffic can get on a Wednesday afternoon in a purely residential area, especially with schools out. Anyway, she decided that we would sit at the breakfast table and pulled out a plastic tray from her bag. She took a drop (literally!) each of a cleanser, a moisturizer, a toner and a couple of other things and put them on the tray. She then told me to go ahead and apply the products to only the right side of my face.
“Why just one side?”
“Because I want to show you the difference it makes”
Ok. I thought. First we’ll apply it to one side and then to the other.
After applying all the products step by step to the right side of my face, she handed me a mirror.
“Do you see any difference?”
I was squinting my eyes hard trying to search for any difference.
Sensing that she may not get the answer that she was looking for, she immediately said,
“See I can see this side looks brighter. Don’t you agree?”
Being a pushover that I am (which the lady had shrewdly observed ) I nodded.
“Ok now, I’ll show you some hand products”
“What about the other side? Can I apply the remaining products (read the other half a drop of each product) on the left hand side of my face?”
She just smiled and said, “ May be you can apply the moisturizer”
Would it have killed her to let me use the remaining products on the tray, especially since she had promised a free facial and this is nowhere close to a facial? She should have just called it product sampling or half a product sampling. Needless to say she did not get any business from me.

Anyway, if you are in the Atlanta area and if you run into a (young)woman with right side of her face looking brighter than the left side, come say hello to Naina.

14 comments:

Cee Kay said...

Oh I hate these "business people". If they had enough business sense, they wouldn't be behaving like this.

I would have been clearly and verbally mad at her for wasting that precious lunch hour - as if you don't have enough to do!

SUR NOTES said...

listen this is the second time you have got me giggling like a maniac.not done!!!

my daughter is looking at me strangely.

NainaAshley said...

GTN
I know. i really wanted to yell at her but I find such confrontations very difficult.

Sur,
I'm glad my stories are making someone laugh. I giggle reading Sanah's antics too.

Fuzzylogic said...

LOL!Poor Naina!I faced a very similar "free facial" trial and since then learnt my lesson. Now I'm wary of anything offered free!:)She literally gave you a fair, balanced view on the pros and cons of such offers:)

David said...

What a cheap lady. Doesn't she realize that her method is going to keep her from getting more clients!

Dan said...

LOL! My wife just too my mother-in-law for a facial last weekend. I didn't notice any difference but (of course) my mother-in-law loved it. :)

Unknown said...

Yeah, I hate it when I only get half-a facial.

Maybe you can win another contest for the other half.

carmachu said...

aha hahahaha

Half a face done....boy thats funny.

~nm said...

Hahahaha...you are just soo very funny!

karmic said...

lol.. thats funny, and really what matters the most is what you want to blog about. :) This is after all your corner of the web, so rock on. :)

NainaAshley said...

Fuzzy,
you are right about getting the pros and cons of such offers.

David,
I agree.

Dan,
Whether others see the difference or not, in a normal facial you at least get a massage, so it is kind of relaxing.


DD,
Yes,I'm trying to win the other half now.

Carmachu & nm
Thanks .

Sanjay,
I know i can blog about anything but I has satrted this with the intention of writing about 3 things...one is issues I feel strongly about....two my daughter's antics and three other crap. I find it difficult to keep up with my daughter's antics...she does something funny and before I can get a chance to put it down...she has already moved couple of steps ahead. Anyway I was just thinking out loud that I only manage to do number three.

Swati said...

Heheheh..I found this hilarious !!!

NainaAshley said...

Swati,
Thanks for visiting.

Thinking Cramps said...

What a gimmick! I would have refused to let that lady leave till she gave me more than just half a facial! Or feigned a panic attack that one side of my face is so much brighter that now my husband won't recognise me ....boo hooo.....

Anyway, read and enjoyed some of your other posts as well (sply lost luggage: how did you manage to enjoy the trip without fretting??)