Thursday, August 9, 2007

Apple Speak....

I can’t help but marvel at the confidence my little one has. At two and a half, she’s sure she knows better than her mommy does.

Mommy: (pointing to a picture of a triangle) What’s that shape?
Apple: That’s a rectangle.
Mommy: No honey that’s a triangle.
Apple: No, it’s a rectangle.
Mommy: No honey (pointing to a rectangle)…that is a rectangle…this is a triangle.
Apple: Mommy, this is a rectangle…O O O…K KK? (A huge emphasis on OK)
Now I need to learn my basics from my little one!

Whenever she’s outdoors Apple wants to pick up something or the other…a stone,a stick, other junk. Sometimes to deter her from picking up junk, I’ll tell her that it has bugs on it, since she’s scared of bugs. The other day, I wanted to take her for a walk, so I took out the stroller. Now instead of siting in it she wanted to push it. I refused and said that I was gonna push it. To that she says. “Mommy don’t touch the stroller,it has bugs, bugs bite mommy!” Yeah right!

The other day when I was putting away her toys and she dint want me to, she said, “ no touching my stuff mommy”. When I ignored it and continued cleaning up,she said, “What did I just tell you mommy? No touching my stuff!”... hmm...anything I say can be used against me (especially by my own little baby!)

Oh and now I can store my shopping list in her head. If I mention to her that we need to buy something from the grocery store, she will remind me of that whenever we are in a store or whenever she sees a store. Of course she’s already trying to use it for her own benefit. On our way home from her daycare there’s a Walgreen’s pharmacy, sometimes when I’m out of milk or something like that and I don’t have the time to go to the grocery store, Apple and I stop there on our way home. She likes it because then she can pull things off the shelf and can try to pressure me into buying something that she wants. Sometimes, but not always she manages to get a piece of candy, a small toy etc. The other day, we were driving past the store and she started
pointing to it and saying, “ I want to go to the shop”.
“We don’t need to go to the shop”
“Yes we need … we need milk”
“We have milk at home honey”
“Mommy, milk finish at home, we get it from the shop”
Yeah, nice try!

I’m being outsmarted by a toddler! Outsmarting me is not that difficult...any normal person can do it..... but such a little person doing that?I shudder to think of what will happen when she’s a teenager and I’m getting older, weaker and more forgetful.
Any smart pills out there that I can use?

9 comments:

Dan said...

You're both wrong! It was a hexagon.

OK?? :)

David said...

Eliza and Sadie tell us what to do all the time! Sadie isn't even two and she has started to get sassy! "No, I don't want to!"

Like you, I don't look forward to teenage arguments.

karmic said...

The teen years.. will you look back on these with fondness?

~nm said...

Hahaha..ohh the kids these days surely know how to manipulate us! :D

Unknown said...

Join the club Naina, we're all being told what to do by our kids. The brat now even insists on having a say in what I wear. "What you wearing mamma? Take out. Not nice..." Hmmm.

carmachu said...

Kids are WAY smarter than you think. We have a hard time forever tricking sarah on things....

NainaAshley said...

Dan,
Did Lulu tech you that?

David & Sanjay,
Yep I'm sure we'll be looking at these times with fondness.

NM, Kiran & Carmachu,
How did this generation get this smart? I don't remember me or anyone around me knowing how to manipulate our parents at a very young age.(Did learn a little of that during teenage years!)

Swati said...

WOW ...she is really smart. You should revise on your basics dear.
Hehehheheh...

And I thought this "No touching my stuff" is a teenage story :D

the mad momma said...

you are tagged!