Friday, April 20, 2007

Its Friday!

'Thank God it’s Friday!' I wake up every Friday with this thought. On Fridays, I feel good about going to work; the hour-long commute does not bother me and the sad news items on the radio fail to keep me down. As I enter my office building, everyone seems to have a smile on their face. Following is a typical Friday interaction with a stranger on the elevator:

I smile at the stranger.
Stranger (smiling back): Its Friday! Thank God.
Me: yep!

If it is a person that I know, the conversation will be more like:
Me: Good Morning A. How are you doing?
A: Great! After all it’s Friday!
Me: I know! I am glad!
A: Can't wait !(for the day to be over)

Conversations similar to these can be heard all day long, all over the office.

Fast forward to Monday and I see tired faces as I enter the building. Whether they are tired from the weekend fun or whether they are stressed out thinking of the week ahead, I know not. My face is one of them. The elevator conversation now goes something like this:

Me: Good Morning B. How are you doing?
B: (Sighs). All right I guess, its Monday :-(
Me: yep(with a sigh).

Career experts always say that you must change your job and/or profession if you do not like Mondays. However, I have come to the conclusion that we will hate Mondays no matter what work we do. Whether we like our jobs or not, we still need a break from the daily routine.

At a previous workplace, on a typical Monday, we were going through the usual 'hate Monday ' conversation, when a colleague said, " I hate Mondays, I hate Tuesdays, I hate Wednesdays. I like Thursdays in anticipation of Fridays and I like Fridays in anticipation of the weekend.” My thoughts exactly!(probably yours too!) It makes me wonder if we always enjoy the anticipation of 'what might be ' rather than enjoying the actual moment. I mean, think about it: on Fridays we have the exact same schedule, the same commute the same meetings, the same deadlines as any other weekday. And yet it is Friday, not Saturday, not Sunday that is our favorite day!

Now if you will excuse me, I've got to go enjoy the rest of my Friday thinking about how I’m going to enjoy the weekend. Have a good weekend!

2 comments:

karmic said...

lol. That made me laugh! I try to look at each day the same. I dont agonize too much, what you gotta do, you gotta do. :)

NainaAshley said...

Sanjay,
That's a good approach. may be someday i'll be wise enough to take it.