Thursday, April 26, 2007

Gasoline Woes!


I just read an article on cnn.com predicting gasoline prices of $4 a gallon this summer. It took me back to the days when I first arrived in Georgia 10 years ago. Gas was under a $ and no one gave a damn about what they drove or how much they drove. I drove a corolla then but it was mainly because I’m not into SUVs or big cars. Gas expenses never crossed my mind then. 10 years later gas prices have tripled, traffic has worsened , commute has increased and the pay hasn’t kept up. But me and others around me still don’t think twice about driving 40 miles to a sale in order to (seemingly) save a few bucks. I guess old habits die hard!

Someday when I need a new car I’ll buy a Prius but I keep telling myself that until then I need to take some small steps to help my bottom line(the financial one). With that in mind, I thought about car-pooling. I even signed up for a car-pool service but soon realized that it wasn’t for me. I’m too used to coming in and leaving whenever I like. I could’nt possibly be dependent on someone else’s schedule. So I told myself that I could at least save a couple of bucks every time by filling gas at Costco since I shop there anyway. Somehow I always end up at Costco with a full tank. My car always happens to scream ‘I need gas’ when I am in the vicinity of the most expensive gas station. May be its all the BPs and Exxons conspiring against me!

I know people who keep track of where the cheapest gas is being sold and drive to those places to fill up. Whether it makes sense to spend some gas in order to save a $ or so, I know not. But I do know that there is no harm in driving to a neighbouring gas station if you realize that it has cheaper gas than the one that you are at. A colleague of mine did just that one time. She was driving home from work one day and realized that she was out of gas. She saw a gas station and pulled into it. She was about to fill up her tank, when the sign at the gas station across the street caught her attention. They were selling gas few cents cheaper. Since my colleague is a thrifty person, she decided to drive across the street in order to save some money. She got into her car, crossed the street and was at the entrance of the other gas station when her car stalled. She was only a few feet away from the pump. A man standing at the pump felt sorry for this poor girl and remarked “You almost made it” . She smiled and thought to herself “If you only knew!”.

5 comments:

Dan said...

her car stalled. She was only a few feet away from the pump.

That's funny! I see nothing wrong with pulling out of one station and going to one across the street ... as long as the hose isn't in your tank! :)

Why are gas stations always across the street from each other?

NainaAshley said...

Good question Dan. I want the answer to that too!

Fuzzylogic said...

These gas prices fluctuation is killing me and my pocket too. Here however we have a city channel which specifically deals with informing the viewers of the cheapest gas pump available in the city and most of the times we do try our best to get it filled there and when it ends up being too far or out of the way well we just grit our teeth and pay whatever is being demanded at the nearest pump.

Unknown said...

I've got to admit that, despite my general thriftiness, I pay no attention to gas prices. That's more because I'm too lazy to look at the prices.

And you may well blogroll me! I'll do the same for you. Thanks for visiting!

NainaAshley said...

Fuzzy
We have to do whatever we can.

DD.
Thanks for stopping by and letting me bloroll you.