Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Apple of my eye!


“My name is Apple”. Sweetie pie announced the other day.
“Hi Apple. Do you want to play with your ball?”
“Apple wants to play with the ball.”
I played along thinking that this was a whim of hers that she would forget the next day. Boy was I wrong! My two year old has now officially shunned the name that we carefully chose for her and has taken up the name “Apple”. For the last week or so she has been referring to herself as “Apple”.
“Apple wants to go outside”, “Apple is sleepy sleepy “ etc.

Now, I do have memories of wanting names other than mine when I was a kid. As a kid, there were times when someone else’s name sounded more appealing than my own.Of course my favorite names kept changing depending upon the either the characters of my favorite show or someone I admired at a particular point in time. But I was at least old enough to be in elementary or middle school during those times.How a two year old comes up with a name and consistently sticks to it, is beyond me.

May be she is being secretly paid by Apple Computers. Hmm... I need to check her 'Piggy' bank account! Or May be she just picked it up from the song that she currently likes which goes: “I like to eat, eat , eat apples and bananas. I like to eat, eat , eat apples and bananas.” Now if she’d only really eat them!

I’m not sure if she insists that everyone at day care call her “Apple” but in our household she’s currently referred to as “Apple”. So I even started thinking of having her wear this shirt on father’s day. But I din’t get around to ordering it on time. Ah well, Dad will appreciate the fact that no money was spent!

Anyway, in accordance with my little lady’s wishes, she’ll be referred to as “Apple “ on this blog until she comes up with another name.

18 comments:

Gauri said...

"Apple" sounds adorable :-)

David said...

LOL, it's weird how they do that! Eliza decided her friend Melissa wasn't to be called Melissa, but rather "Pizza!" Melissa's mother told my wife how one night she could hear Melissa practicing the showdown with Eliza, "My name is Melissa, not Pizza!" They are both two. It really funny how they come up with new words and names!

carmachu said...

Thats absolutely cute!

It will wear off....eventually.

NainaAshley said...

Gauri,
I know. I find it cute too!

Mike m
Thanks.

David,
Pizza! That's funny.

Carmachu,
I agree.

Sraikh said...

My 2 yr old wanted us to call him truck only he cannot pronunce truck so you can imagine, "call me f-ck call me f--ck"
Luckily his obessesion only lasted a few hours..

Unknown said...

That is funny. Kids really are awesome, especially at that age. But they really are cool at any age. You just have to learn to live with them.

karmic said...

lol..I loved reading this cute and funny post! My first thought was like yours, does Steve Jobs have something to do with this? Perhaps it is a new kind of subliminal marketing?
Your kiddo is so cute. :)

karmic said...

and then went to Somaiya Engg.


Wow it is a small world of sorts no?

I went to Somaiya science.. Microbiology, but it must have been ages before you. :)

I finished my BS and MS by '87 I think. :)

Terry said...

What a cute story! It reminds me of my daughter, Eliza, whom David mentioned. She will be three in a couple of months.

For MANY Months she used the word, "Noner." She made it up and it meant "yes." She confidently used this word all the time, as if it never occurred to her that the rest of the population didn't recognize "noner" as a real word.

NainaAshley said...

Sraikh,
That is both funny and embarassing at the same time.

DD
Yep. They are cool!

Sanjay,
It is indeed a small world. Now you are making me disclose my age ..sort off. Ok what the heck.. I graduated with my BE in 94. We ha dto pass your college to reach our part of the campus. So our paths did cross albeit at different points in time.

Tarrie,
Noner? That's a pretty complex word she made up. It is so cute when they do that. Apple has been consistently using the word 'vaakuu' to say that something hurts. It is not a word in any language that we know.

Dan said...

Apples is very cute. When I was a kid one day I asked my friends to started calling me Nathan. I can't quite recall why, but they complied. Then when I got tired of that and asked them to start calling me Dan again, they wouldn't. So Nate I was. :)

~nm said...

Hi! I enjoyed reading your posts! I happened to chance upon your site from some blog I was visting.

Will keeping lurking around more for newer posts! Happy writing!

NainaAshley said...

Dan,
That's funny Nate.

~nm
Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your kind words.

Asha said...

hi,

here for the first time...
what a cute post. apple sounds really sweet :)

Fuzzylogic said...

LOL!this post reminded me so much of the awkward phase where I had taken up a actress name for myself in my kindergarden. No,that name shall not be disclosed as I'm still embarassed by it:)thank god I outgrew that phase. I tell you compared to that Apple is a really cool name:)By the way I have to catch up on all your previous posts now that I'm back after the vacation!

NainaAshley said...

Asha,
Thanks for the nice comment and thanks for visiting.

Fuzzy,
Great to have you back! Can't wait to hear about the trip.
I've had my share of actresses names that i've wanted too!

Unknown said...

LOL. No influence of Gywneth Paltrow I hope...

NainaAshley said...

Kiran
No. She's thankfully not familiar with Gwyneth yet.